The Butterfly Lifecycle

This lesson felt like the best one yet! I really let the kids explore different movements that helped them embody and remember the different stages of the butterfly lifecycle. For example for the egg I had them do small and round movement. Then for the caterpillar stage I had them do body half movement. Next is the chrysalis stage and for this they explored spiral movement. And lastly for butterfly they did sustained movement. After the students explored all of these different patterns, I split them up in groups of 5 and they chose what order they wanted to do these movement qualities in and come up with a name for their group.

The thing I learned most through this lesson was that children want opportunities for ownership. I soon as I gave them a chance to create something and take ownership for that creation they excited about moving and performing for each other. It was somewhat of an epiphany for me. This is important because it will help me in future lessons to give students more opportunities for ownership.

Comments

  1. I believe it is easy for students to take ownership when they have been given all the tools they need to be successful, and it sounds like you scaffolded their learning perfectly in this lesson so that they were ready to take ownership in the creative process. Well done. I'm glad you've been able to reflect and improve as you've enjoyed the Arts Bridge program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your reflection on ownership. I agree that students enjoy decision making opportunities because it helps them feel successful and independent. You have done great work this semester! I have loved following your Arts Bridge journey by reading your blog posts. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Chicken Lifecycle: Armenian Miserlou

Frog Life Cycle Lesson